Number of posts : 71
Character Name : Iluwen
Level : 29
Race : Elf
Class : Lore-Master
Vocation : Explorer
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Advertising for SotA   Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 am

This Kinship was started on May 27th, 2008 -- which makes us brand new! In order to stay afloat and to not drop between 6 members (the minimum a Kin can have without being deleted), always feel free to help us out by advertising. Even a simple mention of it to friends in the game will be a great help.

Also, I'd like to see these forums with a few more Kinship members in here so hopefully we can all come to know each other a little better! It's a great place for discussion of the game. Very Happy

"Maiden of the Universe"
In the darkest of times, look to the Heavens for hope, and find strength in the wisdom presented to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://w1ngs0fate.deviantart.com/
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:57 pm

*sigh*

Well, if anyone does attempt to tell others about our little Kinship, may I ask that you find those of a maturity level beyond that of, oh, say a 10-year-old? I don't know if it's just me or what, but lately there have been a few young folks wanting in, causing drama and acting immature, and then quitting. It's getting, hm, well rather frustrating. I'd just like to find some great, quality people to help build us up and to become a Kinship that I long for. I'm so happy that we have managed to find a few wonderful people so far - so I feel lucky indeed for that! I hope it continues! Smile

"Maiden of the Universe"
In the darkest of times, look to the Heavens for hope, and find strength in the wisdom presented to you.
Back to top Go down
Eleena
Ainu
Ainu

Female
Number of posts : 18
Character Name : Eleena
Registration date : 2008-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 pm

I know how frustrating that can be, Iluwen. It will take a little time, but I am sure we will have a great group. With our open door policy, we will just have a bit more weeding out to do than some kinships, that's all. At least the immature ones weeded themselves out, in this case.

By the way, I have our kin info in my bio. I just copied what you were using for a description. Not sure if it will help attract the right folks, but thought spreading the word might be helpful. I figure the wrong kind of folks won't bother reading it anyway. *smile* If you think it a bad idea, just let me know.

Eleena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Eleena. I do hope we'll be able to attract a more mature crowd rather than the alternative.

Oh and that's a really great idea! No, I agree - most people that are interested enough to take the time to read other people's bios is certainly more likely to be the good type of crowd. Wink Thank you very much for doing that and helping us out.

I guess I am just experiencing a little anticipation in the ways of our Kinship. I know that eventually we will be where we need to be in terms of members.

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Eleena
Ainu
Ainu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:03 pm

Snowhawk brought up a good point in his post under introductions that I thought fit in well with this conversation. Being able to refer people to our web site for more information on our kinship (in our forum sig lines, in our LOTRO bio, in our conversations, etc) is great. The sites are very well done and are a real asset in building the kinship. That being the case, it would be to our advantage to have a section on the iluwen.webs.com with a brief form people can use to apply for membership (kind of like we have one for people to apply to be an officer).

We also could use either a prominent link on this site to that one referring people there for our policies and application, or a recruitment section on this site with those things, or both ideally. That way if people click through from there to here they can easily get back there again for more information and/or to apply. (I suspect most people check out a kinship's forums before making a decision on joining.) Also, if people come here first by way of search or whatever, they will be able to get further information, our policies, an application, etc.

On a related note, we also should look at putting a section on both sites with banners and linking information members/supporters/allies can use on their own web sites or in posts to promote us.

I hope you don't think I am trying to make a long to-do list for you, Iluwen. *hug* Just wanted to share some thoughts. I know you have RL obligations and things take time. (Quick! Find some officers with graphics/web skills that don't know what RL is. *grin*) Just thought bringing ideas to the table might be helpful.

Eleena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eleena
Ainu
Ainu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:51 pm

Was looking at the LOTRO forums and wondered if are following up on the potential members to be found in the "Post here if you can't find a Landroval kinship" sticky at the top of the Landroval Kinship forum.

The posts include things like what they are looking for and hoping to avoid in a kinship, what their play style is, a bit of background on themselves personally, all of which would be helpful in selecting some potentially good fits for our kinship.

The OP said for kin leaders/officers to PM the people that sound like a good fit rather than posting kin info in the thread. Would require some monitoring for new posts to the thread, of course, but might be beneficial for us.

Just a thought.

Eleena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:22 pm

Actually Eleena, those are wonderful ideas! I think I should probably create a form for those wishing to join our Kinship as well. However, it wouldn't be so much of an application, as we do have an open-door policy, like you had said, but rather as a means of just collecting their information.

Also, there is a link at the top of these message boards that takes you back to our website. I had thought of that. Wink It's in the very middle at the top. Hopefully others will notice it as well.

I can create banners and such since I have the means to. I was thinking about doing it actually, but I grew lazy and preoccupied hehe. But yes, I think it would be useful for our alliances.

I did end up PMing a good majority of people on the "Post here if you can't find a Landroval kinship" thread on the LOTRO forums. Unfortunately, none of them ever got back to me (despite that we seemed to be well suited for their needs). I think I ended up PMing around 8-10 people on there. Maybe they just haven't all checked it yet?

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:08 pm

Yay, I finished making both the banners and the form for newbies to fill out. ^^

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Eleena
Ainu
Ainu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:37 pm

Nice job! Looks great! I thought you said you were tired today. Must have revitalized. *smile*

*Eleena makes note to self to get some of that revitalization potion too*

The people on the looking for kinship forum may not have been on to check messages or may have had a lot of offers. Would be nice if people would at least send a polite "Thank you for the offer" note back, so you knew they got the PM, but not sure many will. Still, in some ways, it's a numbers thing. You keep casting your line and you are sure to get a few nice fish. *grin*

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into building the kinship. I am sure it will come to fruition.

Eleena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:00 pm

Ah, yes, trusty potion of caffiene! Wink

That would be kind of them to do. Unfortunately, not all folks think as kindly as you do, but perhaps you're right about a few of them, and that they have not checked their PMs lately.

It's certainly no trouble. I'm happy to do it, of course, as leader of the Kin. Smile

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Eleena
Ainu
Ainu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:07 am

When you have time, maybe adding us to the kinship listings in the lorebook would be good too. I did not see us there. Not sure it will bring us additional members, but I am sure there must be others, like me, who read the listings and it certainly adds to our credibility.
http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Category:Kinships

Eleena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Snowhawk
Ainu
Ainu

Male
Number of posts : 14
Character Name : Snowhawk
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:14 am

I think you have done a great job on the website. As I said before, everything is nice and simple, easy to navigate, and very well laided out. One thing I wanted to ask about is your open door policy. I saw in one of the earlier post that you might have had a problem with getting immature people into your kinship. One way to alleviate that problem is not to recruit on the spot. If they are really interested in joining the kinship, then they wouldn't mind going to the website and filling out an application. I know you know this, but it's always best to have quality over quantity, especially when first starting a kinship, or any guild for that matter. Also don't make them members right off the bat. Give them a probation period so that they rest of the kinship can feel them out, as it were. When I joined the kinship, I expected to be placed on a probation period. Most kinship/guilds usually have a 2 week probation period. If at that time the officers are happy with the new recruit, they make him/her a member. I am just making some suggestions, I really am not trying to stifle anything concerning your dream for the kinship. But I also hope you see my heart in this, and that I really would like to see your kinship blossom and grow with good solid people standing with you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 am

You know, I wanted to add Song of the Ainur to the list at Lorebook's website, but I couldn't figure out how. Do you, by chance, know how you can do that?

That does make sense, to have new members go into a probation period. (I am part of a paranormal investigation team - and originally owned my own - and we do that as well.) I don't want to have to change what we're all about though in saying everywhere at first, "We welcome all players," and then going in to edit that to say, "We are recruiting only mature players that are least 18/21 years of age. At the moment we are in need of *insert classes here*." If I were to do that even, there are those who do not meet the age limit that would simply lie about how old they are. Although I do wish to form a noteworthy Kinship that has a good, mature player-base, I don't feel like I should be forced to change the one thing that seperates us from every other Kinship out there. Based on faith and hope alone, I think we should wait it out a bit more and see just who we manage to attract as members.

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Snowhawk
Ainu
Ainu

Male
Number of posts : 14
Character Name : Snowhawk
Registration date : 2008-06-02

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:50 am

No problem, just some suggestions. And above all else this is your kinship, so of course do with it as you deem best. I am just here to support whatever decision you and your officers make Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:58 am

Thanks so much, Snowhawk. I will, of course though, take any of your suggestions seriously, as you do have a lot of experience.

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Eleena
Ainu
Ainu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi, Iluwen! They have instructions on creating the page at this link below and links on the bottom of that page to some templates you could use/modify. Looks like you either use a template or create a page wiki style.

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Help:Creating_Kinship_Pages

As far as our open door policy, I know that is important to your vision for the kinship. I think iluwen.webs.com does a good job of giving a prospect an understanding of what kind of member we are looking for and establishes some of our expectations for new members as far as behavior.

Having the open door policy will probably mean adding more guidelines/rules, spelling out expectations for members, as we go grow. It will also mean more work for you and our future officers, weeding out members who do not work out. I am sure you are comfortable with that and, of course, a certain amount of that has to be done even in kinships with trial periods. Sometimes it is just hard to tell in the first couple weeks how someone will work out later.

Eleena
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Iluwen
Leader
Leader

Female

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks! I finally finished our Lorebook page and got all the links organized. Very Happy Hopefully that should help us!

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Song_of_the_Ainur

"Maiden of the Universe"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Advertising for SotA   

Back to top Go down

Advertising for SotA
Page 1 of 1